Raku Workshop - 2/12
Dates: Saturday, February 12th
Time: 10 AM – 3 PM
- -$75 (includes instruction, demonstration, glazing, and raku firing)
- -$45 for Studio Members and students of ongoing Clay Studio classes (please call the studio to book)
- -$20 per piece of bisqueware if you do not have your own to glaze (max 2 per person)
Description: Experience the magic of raku pottery at our Saturday January 8th workshop! You will learn the history of raku pottery, examine inspiring examples and participate in different glazing techniques. Raku pottery is a traditional Japanese firing technique that requires the pots to be removed from the kiln while they are still red hot and then placed into a container with combustible materials. Once the pot is placed into the container, the lid is closed, and the smokey atmosphere will react with the glaze to create dazzling effects. All work will be available to take home the same day.
- -You are welcome to bring up to 2 bisqueware pieces to glaze (must be clay purchased from Clay Studio)
- -Participants must wear close-toed shoes, jeans or cotton. No pants with synthetic fabric.
- -If you are interested in horsehair raku, you must provide your own.
Covid-19 Vaccination Mandate: Starting February 1, 2022, Clay Studio will require all employees, teachers, members and students to be vaccinated in order to enter the studio. You must show your vaccination card, a photo of your vaccination card or your SMART Health Card Record from Ca.gov to a Clay Studio employee on your first day of class. You may also email a photo of the above to info@ClayStudioSB.org.
Instructor: Molly Gwitt
About your instructor: Born and raised in Wisconsin, Molly moved to California in the summer of 2021 to work at Clay Studio. She took her first pottery class at age 14, where she discovered her passion for ceramics. After graduating high school, Molly began teaching pottery to middle schoolers and high schoolers at an art camp. Here, she fell in love with raku firing and found creative ways to inspire her community through art and creativity. Molly received her BFA from University of Wisconsin — Green Bay in Spring of 2021, and received the honor of Outstanding Senior Show Award of her class at her Senior Exhibition. In her free time, Molly loves hiking and spending time in nature, which is where she draws much of her inspiration for her art. She is excited to explore all that Santa Barbara has to offer and to be a part of the wonderful community at Clay Studio.